Extraordinary music requires extraordinary instrumentalists - and instruments!
Van Diemen's Band is proud to be building our own library of historically-informed instruments right here in lutruwita/Tasmania, for the enjoyment of our audiences and artists.
Our harpsichord was commissioned from Dutch maker Titus Crijnen. It was manufactured in his workshop in Sabinãn (Spain) in 2022.
Constructed using historically informed techniques, it is a replica of a grand ravelement instrument built in 1624 by the Ruckers family. Made in the Flemish style, it features a double manual, with a range from FF-f3 . It has two 8’ registers plus a 4’ buff stop.
The interior lid artwork was commissioned from nipaluna/Hobart botanical artist, Deborah Wace, to reflect the unique flora of the instrument’s island home.
The instrument was purchased by VDB with the support of many generous donors and truly is a people's instrument.
Kirschner Chamber Organ
Our Kirschner Chamber Organ was made in Hamburg, Germany in 2011. It arrived in lutruwita/Tasmania in December 2018, and was used one week later in the VDB Christmas concerts in Hobart and Launceston.
The principal repertoire played by Van Diemen's Band is 17th and 18th Century repertoire, which frequently requires organ as an integral part of the ensemble.
The instrument was purchased by VDB with the support of many generous donors and assisted through Arts Tasmania by the Minister for the Arts.
The organ can be heard as a solo instrument on our recording of Handel Concerti Grossi Opus 3 played by eminent French organist Martin Gester.
We are incredibly fortunate to have been gifted a violin by a very generous donor. The instrument was built in the 18th century and then modernised at a later point.
It has been returned to a Baroque configuration by nipaluna/Hobart luthier Douglas Coghill, and is now in use by our VDB Fellows.
Our instrument family has welcomed a baroque viola made by Queensland luthier Ian Clarke in 1984. Gifted to VDB by a private donor, the instrument is a copy of an instrument made by the Amati family in 1629. It is now being used by our VDB Fellows.